Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Baked Coconut Shrimp

I've been wanting to try to make coconut shrimp because my family loves it. I've found a recipe that looks good. I'll let you know how it is next week when I make it. I'll even try to take pics.

3 pounds extra large shrimp, defrosted, shelled and deveined, rinsed and patted dry
2/3 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 dashes salt
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
2/3 cup egg whites
1 1/2 cup coconut

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly spray a large baking sheet with butter flavored cooking spray.
  2. In a small bowl combine cornstarch, pepper and salt.
  3. In a small microwave safe dish heat up honey for about 30-45 seconds. Add lime juice to honey and stir.
  4. Slowly add in egg whites and continue to stir.
  5. Place coconut in a thin layer on a pie plate or flat dish.
  6. Take each shrimp and first dip into cornstarch mixture, then in egg white mixture and finally roll in the coconut.
  7. Place on the baking sheet and lightly spray with butter cooking spray.
  8. Bake 10-15 minutes or until shrimp is pink and the coconut is lightly toasted.


No comments: