6 eggs, separated
1 cup sugar
2 (8oz) packages cream cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1 pint whipping cream
2 teaspoons rum extract
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Expresso, 3 teaspoons instant coffee in 1 cup water
2 package lady fingers
1 square semi-sweet chocolate
1. Beat 6 egg yolks until light colored. Add 1 cup sugar. Mix with hand or portable mixer. Place bowl in pan of simmering water, but not touching pan. (I used a small metal rack) Cook 8 minutes beating constantly.
2. Mascarpone cheese substitute: Beat 2 package cream cheese, 1/2 cup sour cream, and 4 tablespoons whipping cream until blended and fluffy.
3. Add egg yolk/sugar mixture to cheese mixture, beating well.
4. In chilled bowl, whip remaining cream until stiff peaks form. Add rum, vanilla, 2 tablespoons expresso mixture.
5. Fold into egg/cheese mixture.
6. Beat egg whites to stiff peaks.
7. Add half of egg whites to egg/cheese mixture until blended.
8. Add remaining egg whites mix until blended.
9. Line bottom of 6qt. serving bowl with lady fingers. Brush expresso on top.
10. Layer half of cheese mixture over lady fingers.
11. Grate 1 square chocolate on top.
12. Arrange another layer of lady fingers on top. Brush with expresso.
13. Spread remaining whipping cream on top.
14. Use strainer to heavily dust top with cocoa.
15. Refrigerate at least 4 hours, up to 1 day before serving.